Friday, April 5, 2013

week 10 winners

I asked @TiramiSue84 some judgey questions ...


1. What is the best piece of writing advice you’ve been given? 
- Probably that you have to separate writing and editing your words. I know from experience that, if I come across a word, phrasing or sentence I'm not really happy with while writing and dwell too long about it, I get stuck and can't seem to go on until it's fixed. I end going mad about it. Even if it's hard at times to ignore the bumps and eye-twitchers, it's much better to focus on your thoughts first and write out as much as you can, and then get back to editing and working out the kinks. At least for me. (Though I sometimes still have a hard time following that piece of advice.)

2. The first and last books you fell in love with? 
- That's a tough one. When I was a kid, I really loved the books by Astrid Lindgren and Erich Kästner's "Das doppelte Lottchen" (The Parent Trap). As a young teen, I became obsessed with the Fear Street books by R. L. Stine. So, I guess that covers the first part of the question. :)  As for now... I do love Pride and Prejudice, and I'm currently falling for John Green's words.

3. What are you listening to right now?
- Sigh No More - Mumford and Sons (the whole Album). And, involuntarily, my neighbors having another fight. 

4. If you could be a superhero, what would your super power be?
- (You are killing me with these quetions, you know that?) I'm too lame to ever be a superhero! Hmm...maybe my lameness could turn put to be my power, though! I'd bore all the villains into surrender!  Other possibilies would be my horrendous cackle of a laugh that I've been told is very infectious, and my remarkable ability to beat about the bush like there's no tomorrow! Seriously, were I paid by the sheer usge of words alone, I'd have made my first million by the age of nine! :)

5. Suppose you could travel to any place in time and history. When and where are you going?
- I've been dreading this one. There are just so many places and events to chose from, it's impossible to pick just one! Maybe, when the people tore down the Berlin Wall? I was too young back then to fully grasp what was going on that night, but just from seeing footage on tv or docus, my skin breaks out in goose bumps. To actually have been there and have been part of it, must have been so much more overwhelming! So yeah, either that one or Woodstock, because I heard that was quite the party. :)







What have I gotten myself into here? I'm so not made for this judge-y business!

There are so many good and interesting entries, cutting it down to 3 or 4 is really hard. I know that there is no way around it though so here goes:




*drumroll*



FIRST PLACE... @hummingbirdff

This one caught me completely off guard, and once it hit me, I couldn't seem to shake it off. It's just so bittersweet. The sweetness of a moment was fleeting, while the melancholy that followed lingered. A beautiful heartbreaker, really.


Bright eyes, bright smile. You light up the room with your mere presence. The little ones sit in rapture as they listen to your soothing voice.

Fairies and witches and ogres and princes come to life before them… you make their world just a little simpler. For a short while they can forget that they’re the kid of a sick parent, a parent that they’ll eventually lose.

You are incredible.

My little princess comes bouncing out of the room. It’s a good day for both of us, so I decide to take her for some ice-cream. As she runs up to the counter, my thoughts linger on you. And suddenly you are there, walking through the doorway. Your eyes catch mine, and I am in awe. I can see you’re not quite sure of our connection, but still your lips turn into a breathtaking smile. I can almost feel my heart skip a beat at the sight.

Then your eyes shift down, and I watch as your entire expression crumbles. I look down to see my little miracle smiling up at me, and I realize the same thing you just did—we can never have a happily ever after.




SECOND PLACE... @bigblueboat

Another one that left my head spinning but for completely different reasons! The way it starts off so sweet and innocent and then does a complete one-eighty in a matter of words was surprising and intense. I like that! :)


Your smile over a Macchiato let me know the truth: we were meant to be. I smiled back, sipped my tea and returned to my copy of the Sunday crossword.

She interrupted us, claiming you for herself when we both knew what the stars foretold.

You met me again the following Sunday, the crossword puzzle tucked under your arm. This time she was nowhere to be seen. I was glad we would be spending time alone.

Last weekend she decided to make another appearance, trying to get me to leave you be. But, how can I do that? You are mine, as I am yours.

I followed her. I just wanted her to understand that she was in the way of our love.

She was the one to put up a fight. Had she not, eternal sleep would have come peacefully. Instead there were punches, scratches and breaks.

You rushed in with the cops, tears pouring from your eyes when you spotted us.

I know you recognized the fresh bruises on my face and arms as proof of our love.

Don’t worry. She can't keep us apart any longer, neither will these iron bars. We’re destined to be together. 



THIRD PLACE... 

I really like the way the authors used and interpretated the prompt here. Both of them are very lovely in their own way. So much so, I had a hard time picking one over the other and kept on going back and forth. This is my easy way out, but they both deserve it.



EQUAL THIRD PLACE... Stephanie Barrick


It was cold, sterile, intense.

Everyone talked at once, vying for my attention, dashing around chaotically.

I remember the pain. It consumed me. Some day you’ll hurt and think it can’t get worse, but trust me when I say it can. It did. Much worse.

“One more time”, they said. “You can do this. Just once more, please, we know you can do this. It’s almost over.” I didn’t believe them. After all, I’d hurt for so long and it still wasn’t over. However, I had no choice.

It turns out they were right. One last time I gave all I had. Every ounce of strength and determination left in me, I willed myself and gave it all. The sacrifice was worth it.

And then it was over. I felt relief, loss and peace. I heard your tiny mewling cry, a balm to my distress. They disconnected the cord that bound us as one. Securely bundled they laid you in my arms.

Body trembling, hands shaking, tears threatening, I caressed your cheek as my hungry eyes devoured you. My heart pounded with love for you. Imagine my surprise when you opened your eyes and smiled. You already knew.



EQUAL THIRD PLACE... @hummingbirdff

I kept my eyes shut. Fear was making my heart race in my chest. One touch of your hand was all it took, though. It eased my nerves and gave me the courage to open my eyes.

Even with the blinds drawn and the lights out, my eyes stung. But I could not wipe the smile from my face. The slight pain meant that this was real—the lights, the colours, the fuzzy shapes.

A quiet sob drew my attention to my side, to you. Your face was right in front of mine. Perfect mahogany curls clung to the tears on your creamy cheeks. Your eyes, red-rimmed, but still indescribably beautiful to me. And your lovely lips, quivering.

My fingers traced a path across your face, one too familiar and yet so different now. “You are as gorgeous on the outside as you are on the inside. I love you. I love you so much.”

A few sobs escaped your lips, but they quickly gave way to most beautiful smile. A smile meant only for me. A smile I could finally see.




HONOURABLE MENTION... @CrackedFic

... because it was just so endearing



The old bartender listened while polishing beer glasses.

"But there's no thy and thou and shit. It ain't Shakespeare."

"Dude, of course it's Shakespeare. I saw it on Tumblr like, fifty times."

"Don't do it, man. She'll know. She's a fuckin' English major. It'll ruin the mood."

"I know what I'm doing. She's going to freak."

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

Skeptical guy threw a five on the bar. "Bud light."

The bartender set down a bottle and two ones.

Lovesick guy hit the restroom again.

The girl walked up. She looked at the sign. Tilted her head, rolled her eyes. Then the corners of her mouth lifted slightly, and she looked around, searching.

Lovesick guy came back, tucking in his shirt. He saw her and pulled a box from his pocket, opened it and held it out in front of him.

"Will you marry me?"

"Oh my God yes!" She jumped into his arms and kissed him.

Skeptical guy set down his beer and grumbled. "I still say it ain't Shakespeare."

The bartender noticed him for the first time.

"Shut up," he said, wiping away a tear. "It don't matter. It don't matter at all."






CONGRATULATIONS @hummingbirdff

Thank you to @TiramiSue84 for judging and to everyone who participated.


See you all next week.

1 comment: